Volunteer at STS
Volunteering at STS
Are you friendly and helpful? Do you love people, airports, travel, and the Wine Country? Then join the excitement and be an Airport Volunteer.
Qualified volunteers are asked to sign up for two shifts per month (three hours per shift). Training is provided. Airport Volunteers answer questions and provide assistance when they can.
If you are interested in volunteering at the Airport, please contact us for more information or to request an application. Questions? Call us at (707) 565-7243.
Volunteers are stationed at the booth where they dispense helpful information to travelers.
Help us enhance customer service and offer a warm Wine Country welcome to travelers at Charles M. Schulz – Sonoma County Airport.
In December 2014, the Airport Volunteer Program celebrated four years of service to our traveling community. We are very proud of the friendly and knowledgable team who have become a valued and appreciated enhancement to customer service at Sonoma County Airport.
Volunteer Calendar and Schedule Login
Volunteer Program Job Description
Specific tasks and responsibilities of the volunteer:
- Open and tidy up information booth, restock and straighten brochures and visitor information
- Respond to inquiries in a positive, friendly, and professional manner
- Assist travelers in locating Airport services, amenities, gates, and facilities
- Provide information about ground transportation, maps, directions, and regional places of interest
- Use reference materials to direct customers appropriately and accurately
- Provide information to and assist passengers in stressful and difficult situations when appropriate
- Volunteer for special events at the Airport when those opportunities arise
- Communicate supply needs and customer feedback to Airport staff
- Keep note of helpful comments.
- Keep note of questions that aren’t covered in training or in the Volunteer Resource Binder
- Keep records of hours worked
Required skills, abilities, education levels, or other qualifications necessary for the job:
- Be at least 18 years of age. Younger volunteers will be allowed to volunteer upon approval
- Commit to volunteer for a minimum of two 3-hour shifts per month for a minimum of six months
- Meet and greet passengers with a genuine, friendly interest in assisting and leaving a good impression
- Be knowledgeable of Wine Country locations, events, attractions, transportation, and services
- Be able to keep cool and calm under duress and effectively handle complaints and difficult situations (missed or
cancelled flights, delays, lost items etc). An airline customer service agent will be on duty during flight times to
provide assistance with airline related events
- Be motivated and willing to learn about all aspects of Sonoma County Airport and local air service
- Be committed to providing exceptional customer service
Specific training and/or experience the volunteer will receive: Training includes a one and a half hour orientation
about airline/airport protocol, and introductions to Airport and terminal staff. Airport staff will provide volunteers with
emergency plan orientation and training, airport specific security information, and safe work rules. In addition, whenever
applicable and practical, an ergonomics evaluation is conducted.
Certified Tourism Ambassador training: New volunteers will be asked to complete the four-hour CTA training
workshop, offered by the Sonoma County Tourism Bureau, within the first 90 days of service.
Additional benefits are: Free parking, Airport restaurant discount, volunteer recognition events, an ID tag and the
satisfaction that comes with helping others. Additional group refresher training with guest speakers is offered periodically.
Apply to be a Volunteer
Alternative ways to apply
If you prefer to not fill out an online application, please print out and complete a PDF of the Volunteer Application and mail, email or fax it to:
Charles M. Schulz – Sonoma County Airport
2290 Airport Blvd
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
Fax: (707) 542-5303